Welcome to the Origin Chapters 6 & 7 Discussion!
Please note that in order to receive your 1 PGP for this discussion, you will need to make one original post and then reply to two other posts (for a total of three posts). Of course, this is the minimum requirement and more discussion is always encouraged.
Below are some questions to help facilitate discussion, but please feel free to add additional comments/questions as well!
1. On page 176, Dr. Raff equates paleogenomics to “reconstructing a person’s entire life by stitching together the photos they posted on Instagram. Not inaccurate, necessarily, just…incomplete.” What do you think of this analogy?
2. What is your reaction to the genetic legacies from archaic humans (Neanderthals and Denisovans)?
3. Do you agree that there is likely evidence of a human presence in south-central Beringia or the Northwest Beringian plain if we look in the right places? What do you think about the stanol and Bluefish Cave findings?
4. Are you surprised by the link between population splits of dogs and humans?
5. Population Y, discovered in 2016, adds an additional puzzle to South American genomes. In your own words, summarize what was discovered. Dr. Raff gives three possibilities of how the archaeological evidence could be reconciled with genetic findings (one even relating to what happened to the Vikings). What are your thoughts about these possibilities with respect to Population Y?
P.O. Box 383, New Albany, IN 47151