2018 class of the National STEM Scholar Program, a program designed specifically for middle school teachers inspiring the next generation of STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) pioneers nationwide.
The National Stem Cell Foundation (NSCF) partners with The Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Science and Mathematics at Western Kentucky University (WKU) to fund ten scholarships each year for middle school science teachers working to transfer a passion for science to students in this age group. Research shows that students who get excited about STEM subjects in middle school are the ones who will take those courses in high school and major in them at the college level.
National STEM Scholars receive advanced education in the development of STEM projects for classroom implementation, spend a full day with a national thought leader in STEM education (the 2017 speaker was Dr. Eric Mazur of Harvard University) and build a national network of colleagues for information sharing. STEM Scholar classrooms also have an opportunity to speak with astronauts on the International Space Station during the school year and work directly with providers of space technology education nationwide.
Scholars are selected based solely on the merit of questions answered in the application. The selection committee is not provided with names or locations of teacher applicants.
In 2018, we will graduate our third class of National STEM Scholars. Each scholarship recipient receives the following:
- Advanced education and leadership training on the campus of WKU June 3-9, 2018. All expenses – travel, lodging, meals – are included
- A notebook/tablet (Chromebook or similar) to facilitate ongoing collaboration
- A credit of up to $2,500 for technology and supplies to implement a classroom Challenge Project
- Sponsored attendance at the National Science Teacher Association (NSTA) Conference in St. Louis in April 2019. All expenses – registration, travel, lodging, meals – are included
- Year-long mentorship and support provided by Western Kentucky University faculty
Applications are open now by visiting https://www.wku.edu/gifted/nss/application.php.